|Kimi and Elchi in Kyôto|
|Phoenix Hall, Byôdôin, Uji.|
The power struggle between shôgun and emperor was finally decided in the Boshin War (戊辰戦争, 1868-69). In the Battle of Toba-Fushimi (鳥羽・伏見の戦い , Toba-Fushimi no tatakai) in January 1868 the forces of the shôgunate and the allied forces of Chōshū, Satsuma and Tosa domains collided at Fushimi, Kyôto. The struggle lasted four days and ended with a decisive defeat for the shôgunate. The result was the transformation from a feudal society to modern Japan, beginning with the reign of Emperor Meiji (明治天皇, 1852-1912) in 1868.
In Kyôto there are six large tourist areas:
(1) The heart of Kyôto with the famous Kiyomizudera Temple, the traditional Gion Geisha quarter and the Heian Shrine. Additionally, there are dozens of first-class sights here and it is the area considered to be downtown Kyôto.
(2) In the northwest of Kyôto are Ginkakuji, the Golden Pavilion, the Ryônaji Temple with its world-famous rock garden and the Imperial Palace.
(3) In the northeast of Kyôtô are Kinkakuji, the Silver Pavilion, and the scenic Philosophers' Path.
(4) In the center of Kyôtô is the Nijôjô Palace.
(5) In the area around the Kyôtô Stn. is the Tôji Temple, the Temple Sanjûsangendô with its thousand Kannon statues and the National Museum.
(6) In the south is Arashiyama with its famous bamboo forest and the famous Tenryûji and Daikakuji Temples.
Near Kyôto there are also some spectacular attractions like Byôdôin Temple in Uji in the south and Ôhara in the north.
(1) The heart of Kyôto
Kiyomizudera Temple (清水寺)
Kiyomizudera literally means "pure water temple" and owes its name to the pure water of the fall. In 1994 the temple was included in the UNESCO World Heritage List. Kiyomizudera is known above all for its wooden terrace, which was built in front of the main hall at a height of 13 metres on a slope. From the terrace you have a beautiful view of the numerous cherry and maple trees that transform the slope into a sea of flowers and colours in spring and autumn, and of Kyôto in the distance.
|View from Kiyomizudera.|
Next to Kiyomizudera are San'nenzka (三年坂) and Ninenzaka (二年坂) Slopes, the legendary streets of Kyôto that represent Japan's good old days. The historic stone-paved streets are lined with traditional Japanese buildings, shops, cafes and inns. San'nenzaka was built in 808 as access to the Kiyomizudera Temple.
Kôdaiji Temple (高台寺)
|Hashintei, Kôdaiji Temple, Kyôto.|
From here it is about 400 m to the Kôdaiji Temple, one of the most important temples of Kyôto. It was founded in 1606 in memory of Toyotomi Hideyoshi (see history) by his wife Nene (Kitano no Mandokoro, 北政所, 1547?-1624), who is also enshrined in the temple. The main buildings have richly decorated interiors and are surrounded by beautiful Zen gardens, including the rock garden Hashintei (波心庭).
The entrance fee includes the Kodaiji Shô Bijutsukan Museum (高台寺掌美術館), which displays treasures of Kodaiji, Nene and several lacquer works of art.
|Ishibe Koji Alley, Kyôto|
Gion is the traditional entertainment district of Kyôto. It lies north and south of Shijô Street and stretches from the Kamogawa River in the west to the Yasaka Jinja Shrine in the east. Gion is the heart of Kyôto's geisha culture.
Geishas (芸者) are highly qualified entertainers who perform at high class dinners, private parties and special events to give the event a special touch. To become a geisha, or geiki (芸妓) as they say in Kyôto, young ladies between the ages of 15 and 20, called maiko (舞妓) go through five years of rigorous training. Geishas also exist in other cities like Tôkyô, but they usually do not undergo the strict training that defines the maiko and geiko of Kyôto, whose services are today expensive and exclusive During her career, maikos and geikos are affiliated with, a certain lodging house, or okiya (置屋). The okiya funds the training of affiliates under certain ochaya (茶屋 ) or teahouses. Each okiya has its own 'branch' of names that link them together.
|Kimi and Elchi in Gion, Kyôto.|
Every autumn, from November 1st to 10th, the Gion Kaikan Theatre (祇園会館) features the Gion Odori (祇園をどり), a festival of traditional geiko dance. The motifs draw from classical Japanese culture and incorporate everyday life as well as folkloristic elements, for example from the Tale of Genji (see Ryozanji). Famous is also the Miyako Odori (都をどり), literally the capital dance, which takes place four times a day from the 1st to the 30th of April at the Gion Kôbu Kaburenjô Theatre (祇園甲部歌舞練場). Gion is most atmospheric in the early evening when the lanterns are lit and the apprentice geishas are on their way to their appointments through the backyards.
A stone's throw away is Ken'ninji Temple, the oldest Zen temple in Kyôto, built in 1202 (see history). It consists of several large halls and gates around which about two dozen smaller buildings are arranged. Most of the site is open to the public, but visitors must pay an entrance fee to enter the main buildings.
A striking work of art in the temple are the twin dragons painted on the ceiling of the Dharma Hall.
|Chionin, Sanomon Gate|
Shôrenin (青蓮院) is one of the city's "monzeki" temples (門跡寺院, monzeki jiin), i.e. temples whose chief priests were traditionally members of the imperial family. A winding route takes visitors through the various temple buildings and gardens of Shôrenin. There is also a small shrine and a bamboo grove. Characteristic are the massive camphor trees in front of the temple. From here it is a 15 minute walk to the Heian Jingu Shrine (see below).
|Zuisenji, graves of the Hidetsugu family.|
|Beautiful hand-painted folding fan|
Gion Shirakawa (祇園白川)
On the other side of the river, about 200 m from Gion Shijô Stn., is Gion Shirakawa, another picturesque part of Gion that runs along the Shirakawa Canal parallel to Shijô Dori Street. The canal is lined with willow trees, first class restaurants and traditional tea houses, many of which have rooms overlooking the canal. As it is a little off the beaten track, the Shirakawa area is typically calmer than the Hanami Kôji Dori Street in Gion.
Heian Jingû Shrine (平安神宮)
|Heian Jingu, tori gate|
It is a replica of the original Heian Palace, the palace of the early emperors of Kyôto, but on a smaller scale.
|Heian Jingu, Kyôto|
(2) North Eastern Kyôto (Higashiyama, 東山)
Ginkakuji, the Silver Pavilion, is a famous Zen temple in Kyôtô’s Eastern mountains. Modeled after the Golden Pavillion, it was built as the retirement villa of shôgun Ashikaga Yoshimasa (足利 義政, 1436-1490) in 1482. The building captivates with its simple elegance and, contrary to its name, was never covered with silver. It is also famous for its excellent stone and sand gardens. Already in 1952, it was declared an UNESO World Heritage Site.
Close to Ginkakuji Temple is the former home, studio and garden of Hashimoto Kansetsu ( 橋本関雪,1883-1945), a distinguished painter in the Nihonga style. The Hakusa Sonsô Hashimoto Kansetsu Garden & Museum (白沙村荘 橋本関雪記念館) is a large site, which includes stone lanterns and other stone work such as Buddha statues, water basins, pillars and small pagodas. Paths of stepping stones lead through mossy, thatched gates over small bridges. It features several buildings and a museum, dedicated to Hashimoto Kansetsu.
|View from Daimonjiyama, Kyôto|
|Trail leading up to Daimonjiyama|
Tetsugaku no michi, Philosopher's Path (哲学の道)
|Kyôto, Philospher's Path|
|Tobstones of Tanizaki Jun'ichirô.|
His masterpiece Sasameyuki (細雪), literally "A Light Snowfall," but published in English as "The Makioka Sisters", is a detailed characterization of four daughters of a wealthy Ôsaka merchant family who see their way of life slipping away in the early years of World War II.
The inscription on the left tombstone shows the Japanese character for "simplicity" (seki, 寂 ) and the right one for "heaven" (sora, 空).
Lucky Tanizaki has not only two tombstones here, but he can also be visited Sugamo's Somei Reien Cemetary (染井霊園), Toshima Ward, Tôkyô, where the other part of his ashes is buried just behind the famous Japanese writer and close friend Akutagawa Ryûnosuke (芥川 龍之介, 1892-1927).
|Pagoda, Shinshô Gokurakuji Temple.|
|Thombs of the Aizu warriors, Kurodani Temple|
|"Afro Buddha" at Kurodani Temple|
At the southern end of Philosopher’s Path is Eikandô (永観堂), also called Zenrinji (禅林寺), a wonderful viewpoint in autumn. The temple has a long history, and there are a variety of buildings and a pond garden that visitors can explore. Eikandô's most recognizable building, however, is its pagoda, which is nestled in the trees on the hillside above the temple's other buildings Visitors can walk up to the pagoda, from where the rest of the temple grounds and the city of Kyôto can be seen. Eikandô is also home to the famous Mikaeri Amida (みかえり阿弥陀), the "looking back" Buddha, which, unlike most Buddha statues, looks over the shoulder, instead of straight forward.
Nanzenji Temple (南禅寺)
|Nanzenji, Kyôto, aqueduct.|
Built during the Meiji Period (1868-1912; see history), the aqueduct is part of a canal system that was constructed to carry water and goods between Kyôto and Lake Biwa in neighboring Shiga Prefecture. Nanzenji, founded in 1291, is one of Kyôto’s most visited temples. Nanzenji's central temple grounds are open to the public free of charge, but separate fees apply for entering the Sanmon Gate, the Nanzenin sub-temple, and the Hôjô Teien garden.
|Wild Monkey, Konchiin|
Murinan features a lovely little pond and a very nice garden. Preserved are a small teahouse, a two-story traditional structure, and a Western style building converted into a museum In the second floor of this building you find the room where Yamagata and other politicians of the day sat down to discuss policy before the Russo-Japanese war (Nichi-Ro sensô, 日露戦争, 1904-05) in 1903, where Russia suffered defeat by Japan, which made Japan join the world powers. It is a nice place to feel the history, but also to forget the bustling world outside the garden wall.
(3) Northwestern Kyôto
|Kimi and Elchi at Kinkakuji, Kyôto|
Kinkakuji, the Golden Pavilion, is one of the most famous temples in Kyôto, is completely covered with gold-leaf, which offers a magnificent view, especially in the sunshine. The temple was the retirement villa of the Shôgun Ashikaga Yoshimitsu (see history), and according to his will it became a Zen temple of the Rinzai sect after his death in 1408. The temple, overlooking a large pond, is – due to its beauty – maybe one of the most photographed temples in Kyôto. It burnt down several times; the last time in 1950, when it was set on fire by a fanatic monk.
Famous Japanese author and enfant terrible, Mishima Yukio (三島 由紀夫, 1925-1970), who committed suicide by ritual seppuku, published “The Temple of the Golden Pavilion “in 1956 (trans. in 1959 by Ivan Morris). The monk Mizoguchi, whom Mishima had visited in prison, is described as so obsessed with the beauty of the pavilion that he burned it down in the end to free himself from this obsession. In 1955 the pavilion was rebuilt in its original stage.
|Ryôanji, Zen rock garden|
Sôami (相阿弥, ?-1525), the great landscape designer, Zen monk, master of the tea ceremony and painter, designed the garden in the karesansui style (枯山水), a dry landscape technique that uses combinations of stones and sand to suggest mountains and water.
|Portrait of Daruma Daishi, Tôjiin|
The garden is superb, the halls are elegant and the teahouse is sublime. It was established by shôgun Ashikaga Takauji (see history), who’s tomb can be found between the east and west sections of the garden. Upon entering it’s main building the visitor is greeted by a large painting of Bodhidharma (called Daruma Daishi in Japanese), the 5th (or 6th) century Indian monk who is said to have transmitted the Zen teachings from India to China. A similar portrait can be found in Arahiyama's Tenryûji Temple.
Nin'naji Temple (仁和寺)
|Five-Storied Pagoda, Nin'naji.|
It has a massive main gate and an exquisite Five-Storied Pagoda. Nin'naji Temple also has a beautiful Japanese garden, which offers breath-taking views of the Five-Storied Pagoda.
The temple is especially famous for its Omuro Sakura cherry trees which are the latest blooming cherries in Kyôto.
|Kimi and Elchi at Myôshinji, Kyôto|
1 km southwest of Ninaji Temple is Myôshinji, a large temple complex, comprising around 50 subtemples. It is the head temple of the associated branch of Rinzai Zen Buddhism.
The grounds of the temple were formally a palace for the Emperor Hanazono (花園天皇, 1297-1348). Hanazono abdicated in 1318 and became a monk in 1335. Therafter he donated the palace to found the temple.
The gardens of Myôshinji are a nationally designated Place of Scenic Beauty and Historic Site. The temple's bell, which was cast in 698, is the oldest-known example of a Buddhist temple bell in Japan, as well as being the oldest bell in the world still in use. Some of the temples are open for visitors and some at occasional events.
|"Three-day moon and pine trees on gold ground"|
This temple complex is not so crowded as many other places in Kyôto, which makes it a pleasant place to wander around.
Kitano Tenmangû (北野天満宮)
Just 300m south of Kitano Tenmangû is Taishôgun Shôtengai -Ichijô Yôkai Monster Street (大将軍商店街 一条妖怪ストリート). In this tight commercial lane it is all about yôkai, ghosts or monsters. As the legend goes, thousands of years ago, the yôkai got fed up with humans and came to live here in the northern part of Kyôto. The shop owners cultivate this legend and you will find yôkai decorating nearly the shops. The street is home to a shopping district called Taishôgun Shopping Street, where the 400-meter walk is populated with homemade sculptures of these legendary monsters. The shops are local neighborhood shops; however it is very nice to stroll around and you might find an interesting piece to bring home.
|Nishijin Kyôgoku Street, Kyôto|
Not far from here is the Nishijin Textile Center (西陣織会館), an alliance, consisting of more than 700 small companies that continue to foster and nurture the ancient textile tradition. It is located on Horikawa Street, just south of Imadegawa Stn. Nishijin Textile Center is a museum, a factory, a shop and a gallery all in one and a good address to by a souvenir. The shops around the center sell pieces of silk textiles at low prices.
Abe no Semei Jinja Shrine (安部晴明神社)
|Abe no Seimei Jinja, Kyôto|
Abe no Seimei was considered a magician at the time. He served the emperor and the Fujiwara family as a diviner, adviser, and astrologer. In addition to telling fortunes, he also held special prayers and was known as a talented astronomer. Abe no Seimei became a great favorite of the Imperial court and on his death, the shrine was built in his memory by Emperor Ichijô (一条天皇, 980-1011) in 1007.
The shrine, which is on the site of his former residence, has many examples of the pentagram. The motif symbolizes the Five Chinese Elements: Wood, Fire, Earth, Metal, and Water. In this system, Fire generates Earth, which generates Metal, which generates Water, which generates Wood, which generates Fire. The five elements system is used extensively in a variety of design, time and spatial systems in the East.
|Seimeimon, Abe no Seimei Jinja, Kyôto|
Shiramine Jingû (白峯神宮)
|Shiramine Jingu, Kyôto|
The reason for this is that in Shiramine Jingu Seidamyôjin (精大明神) is worshipped, who is considered the protective deity of the mari (鞠), balls used in sports and games).
The ancient game of kemari (蹴鞠), kickball, was played here by court nobles during the Nara, Heian, and Kamakura periods (see history) before it spread to the samurai and the common people. Every year on April 14th a kemari festival is held at the shrine, played by Shintô priests. Here one can wish success for future games or competitions or pray for the success of a football club.
Kyôto Gosho, The Imperial Palace (京都御所)
|Kyôto Gosho, palace walls|
The palace is located in the extensive imperial park of Kyôto (京都御苑, Kyôto gyoen), an attractive park in the center of the city, which also includes the imperial palace Sentô Gosho (仙洞御所), a secondary palace complex and several other attractions.
|Kyôto Imperial Park|
Located near the Imperial Palace towards the Kamogawa River is Rozanji Temple (盧山寺), most famous as the site of the former manse where Lady Murasaki Shikibu (see history), author of the world’s first novel, “The Tale of Genji”, spent her years. However, it is also known for its lovely garden, Genji Garden, named after the main character of Murasaki Shikibu’s novel.
Shimogamo Jinja Shrine (下鴨神社)
|Shimogamo Jinja, Kyôto|
|Shimogamo Jinja, Kyôro|
Kamigamo Jinja Shrine (上賀茂神社)
|Kamigamo Jinja Shrine|
Kôtôin (高桐院), located on the west side of Daitokuji, is famous for its maple trees, specifically in autumn, and it tranquil moss garden. It is probably the most popular temple in the compounds.
One kilometer east of Demachiyanagi Stn., and close to Kyôto University, is Yoshida Jinja Shrine (吉田神社), an ancient shrine on Yoshida hill. Surrounded by a deep forest, the shrine stands quietly amid an undisturbed stillness. It was founded in 859, during the Heian period, by the powerful Fujiwara clan (see history) and continues to be an important Shintô institution to this day. Many people overlook this shrine, since there are many tourist sites nearby, so you are probably almost alone here. On top of Yoshida hill sits Moan (茂庵), a special forest tea house, serving tea and sweets.
(4) Central Kyôto
Nijôjô Castle was built in 1603 by Tokugawa Ieyasu (see history), the first Shôgun of the Edo Period (1603-1867) as his residence. Surviving in its original form, the palace consists of multiple separate buildings that are connected with each other by corridors with so called nightingale floors (uguisubari no rôka, 鴬張りの廊下), as they squeak when stepped upon as a security measure against invaders. The rooms feature elegantly decorated ceilings and beautifully painted sliding doors (fusuma, 襖), painted by the Kanô school (狩野派), one of the most famous schools of Japanese painting. The castle also features amongst others the Nihonmaru garden, a traditional Japanese landscape garden designed by the landscape architect and tea master Kobori Enshû (see Konchiin). The buildings are the best examples of castle palace architecture of Japan's feudal era, and the whole caste was designated a UNESCO world heritage site in 1994.
The power struggle between the Shôgun and Tennô was finally fought in the Boshin war (1868-69, see history). The Shinsengumi remained loyal to the Tokugawa Shôgunate and when the latter collapsed, the Shinsengumi were expelled from Kyôto. Following their departure, they fought in the Battle of Toba–Fushimi (鳥羽・伏見の戦い Toba-Fushimi no tatakai) in January 1868, where Kondô suffered a gunshot wound at Fushimi. The battle ended in a decisive defeat for the Shôgunate, paving the way for Japan’s modernization. At the same time it meant the downfall of traditional Japan and its samurai. Kondô, who had been on the wrong side was arrested and executed by the winning forces.
(5) Around Kyôtô Stn.
Tôji Temple (東寺)
Higashi Honganji (東本願寺) and Nishi Honganji (西本願寺)
|Kimi ans Elchi in front of the Karamon|
A small Japanese garden, Shôseien, is located another few street blocks east of Higashi Honganji and serves as a detached temple residence of Higashi Honganji. Today, the garden with its pond and beautiful autumn colors is open to the public. It is a very lovely garden with several tea houses and buildings of interest and very worth the small entrance fee.
Chishakuin Temple (智積院)
|Chishakuin Temple, shôhekiga.|
Next to Sanchûsangendô is Chishakuin Temple,which is famous for his beautiful historic garden and painted sliding doors. It is less crowded than neighboring Sanjûsangendô. The beautiful garden can be enjoyed from the veranda of the Grand Drawing Room in any season, and the interior is lavishly decorated in both modern and traditional screen- and wall paintings (shōhekiga, 障壁画), some of which are recreations of gold-leaf covered National Treasures that can be seen in the temple’s Treasure Hall. The masterpieces on display in the Treasure Hall already justify the entrance fee.
(6) Arashiyama (嵐山)
Tenryûji Temple (天龍寺)
Soon you will arrive at Arashiyamas first highlight, Tenryûji Temple, the most important temple in this district.
|Sôgenchi Teien, Tenryûji|
It is famous for the Cloud Dragon on the ceiling of Tenryûji's Hatto Dharma Hall, which was painted in 1997 by the renowned nihonga artist Kayama Matazô (加山 又造1927-2004), as one of the projects commemorating the 650th anniversary of the death of Tenryûji's founder, Musô Soseki (see Tôjiin), a Rinzai Zen Buddhist monk and teacher, and a calligraphist, poet, and garden designer and the most famous monk of his time.
|Arashiyama Bamboo Grove|
|Arashiyama, view from Kameyama Kôen Park|
|Nisonin, graves of the three emperors.|
|Giôji Temple, Arashiyama.|
Giôji Temple (祇王寺) is even more nestled into the forest than Jôjakkôji and Nisonin. It is known for its moss garden that is punctuated with tall maple trees. The temple's entrance gate and small main hall have thatched roofs. The latter has an attractive round window looking into the garden. You can visit the Giôji in combination with Daikakuji temple.
|Saga Toriimoto Preserved Street|
Saga-Toriimoto Preserved Street (嵯峨鳥居本)
|Saga Toriimoto Preserved Street, Arashiyama.|
|Adashino Nenutsuji Temple, Arashiyama.|
Adashino Nenbutsuji (化野念仏寺) is located at the end of the Saga-Toriimoto Preserved Street. The temple was founded in the early 9th century when the famous monk Kobo Daishi (see Tôji) placed stone statues for the souls of the dead here. Today, the temple grounds are covered by hundreds of such stone statues. In the back of the temple, a short path leads through a bamboo forest.
|Otagi Nenbutsuji TempleArashiyama.|
Another ten minute walk north Adashino Nenbutsuji, is the Otagi Nenbutsuji Temple (愛宕念仏寺), which is famous for its 1200 stone statues of rakan (羅漢), devoted followers of Buddhism, who advanced along the path of Enlightenment, each with a different facial expression. Created relatively recently in the 1980s and early 1990s, the many statues stand across the temple grounds which cover part of a forested mountain slope. It is a very lovely temple, very much worth visiting.
|Daikakuji, Arashiyama, Kyôto|
During its history the temple traditionally had members of the imperial family serve as the head priest (see Shôrenin). It is made up of several buildings connected by elevated wooden walkways. The covered corridors, like the "nightingale floors" of Nijôjô's Ninomaru Palace, squeak quietly as you walk over them.
Many of the buildings are decorated with painted fusuma doors by the famous Kanô school (狩野派), which was the dominant style of painting from the late 15th century until theMeji Period (see Nijôjô).
South of Kyôto
|Wodden bridge, Tôfukuji.|
Fushimi Inari Taisha Shrine (伏見稲荷大社)
|Fushimi Inari Taisha|
|Fushimi Inari Taisha|
Obakusan Manpukuji (黄檗山萬福寺)
|Obakusan Manpukuji, wodden corridor|
Manpukuji Temple is famed for its pine trees and architecture and its long wooden corridors. Along with Byôdôin, Manpukuji makes a good day trip to Uji.
Fushimi Castle (伏見城) in the south east of Kyôto city, was originally built for Toyotomi Hideyoshi (see history) between 1592-1594 and it was here where he passed away in 1598. The Fushimi Castle you can see today was built in concrete in 1964. The interior is closed but it is still possible to visit the grounds of the castle. Nearby is the Mausoleum of Emperor Meiji (Meiji tenno no ryôba, 明治天皇の陵墓), as is Nogi Shrine - dedicated to Nogi Maresuke (乃木 希典, 1849-1912), a general who committed suicide along with his wife after the funeral of Emperor Meiji (明治天皇, 1852-1912).
Also of historical interest is the Teradaya (寺田屋), - an inn where Sakamoto Ryôma (see history), an active opponent of the Tokugawa Shôgunate. was saved by his future wife running naked from her bath to warn him of approaching assassins. Today, visitors to the reconstructed Teradaya can still see a sword cut in one of the wooden pillars at the inn. Ryôma was assassinated at the Ômiya Inn in Kyôto in 1867 (see Ômiya Inn incident). Shinsengumi leader Kondô Isami (see Mibudera) was later executed on being responsible for the assassination.
Uji (宇治市) and Byôdôin (平等院)
|Byôdoin, Uji, Kyôto|
Uji is a lovely small town, famous for its excellent green tea. The picturesque Uji River is flowing through the center of the town. With its numerous gardens and tea houses, Uji invites you to take a walk. There are also many tea shops in Uji, some of which have existed for centuries. Here you can buy tea, learn about the history of tea and learn how to prepare matcha.
North of Kyôto
Ôhara is a rural city located in the mountains north of Kyôto. It is famous for its rural beauty and the historical and spiritual significance of its many temples.
Sanzenin Temple (三千院)
|Kimi and Elchi at the Otonashi Waterfall.|
Otonashi Waterfall (Otonashi-no-taki, 音無の滝)
Jakkôin Temple (寂光院)
To reach Ôhara you can catch the Bus No. 16 from the bus stop at Shijô-Kawaramachi Subway Stn. or Bus 17 from Kyoto Stn.You can also get on bus No. 19 at Kokusaikaikan Station on the Kurasama Line of the Kyoto subway.